This is a beginner crocheted slouchy hat that is worked up quickly and easily. This slouchy is made in a continuous round after initial joining. Doing it this way creates a seamless looking hat without seeing a "work up" seam as the slouch progresses which can be seen by using other crochet stitches.
(1) skein of worsted weight 4 ply yarn
(1) 5.5 mm crochet hook
(1) tapestry needle
(1) pair of scissors
(1) stitch marker
ss = slip stitch
sc = single crochet
sc = single crochet
st = stitch
sts = stitches
hdc = half double crochet
Using 6 mm crochet hook: 4 inches = 12 sts; Using 5.5 mm crochet hook: 4 inches = 12 sts (crochet a bit loose as the hook size will automatically narrow the width of the hat as you crochet around.)
*PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK THE GAUGE* - If you want the hat to come out as pictured above you must closely match the gauge. Some people crochet differently due to their tension on the yarn meaning some people crochet tightly and some loosely so matching the stitches per inch (gauge) is very important. You may have to adjust your hook size in order to get the gauge needed. For example, if you are a tight crocheter, you may have to use a larger crochet hook than what's listed above in order to obtain the required gauge and if you are a loose crocheter you may have to use a smaller hook to obtain the required gauge. If you don't adjust the hook size to meet the required gauge based on your crocheting style (tight/loose) your hat will come out either too small or too big.
- Using 6 mm crochet hook, chain 4. Join with a ss in the beginning chain. Circle made.
- Round 1: 10 hdc in the center of the circle made. Do not join (10 hdc)
- Round 2: 1 hdc in next st to join; add stitch marker. (remember to move stitch marker up with each round). 1 hdc in same st. *2 hdc in each st*, around (20 hdc)
- Round 3: *1 hdc in next st, 2 hdc in the next st*, around (30 hdc)
- Round 4: *1 hdc in the next 2 sts, 2 hdc in the next st*, around (40 hdc)
- Round 5: * 1 hdc in the next 3 sts, 2 hdc in the next st*, around (50 hdc)
- Round 6: * 1 hdc in the next 4 sts, 2 hdc in the next st*, around (60 hdc)
- Rounds 7-22: hdc in each st, around (to make your hat extra slouchy, just add additional rounds here)
- Round 23: change to 5.5 mm hook, *sc in each st*, around (60 sc)
- Round 24-26: *sc in each st*, around (60 sc)
- Bind off and weave in ends.
Enjoy Slouchin' Around Town!
You are welcome to sell what you create, but please do not reproduce the pattern in anyway. Feel free to let others know where you found this pattern by posting a link to this pattern from this location to your social media or personal site.
Please send me a message if you have any questions.
Here's a link to the PDF version: Slouchin' Around Town
Straight Off The Hook